You or someone you know may be eligible for help with home heating bills. The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) is a federally-funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home heating costs. The amount of heating assistance benefit depends on the household's size, income and heating costs.

Income qualification for WHEAP is currently based on 60 percent of the state median income level over a three-month period.

Who's eligible

You may qualify for assistance if your gross income for the last three months is less than the amount shown below for your family size.

Household size 60% of State median income
1 $6,650
2 $8,606
3 $10,743
4 $12,789
5 $14,835
6 $16,881
7 $17,265
8 $17,049

A few notes about WHEAP energy assistance:

  • It's a one-time yearly benefit payment
  • Benefits are normally available Oct. 1 to May 15
  • You do not have to pay the money back
  • It is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating your home
  • Your heating assistance benefit may be sent directly to your fuel supplier

In addition to energy assistance, WHEAP provides the following assistance programs:

  • Electric assistance (non-heating) helps eligible households pay a portion of non-heating electric energy costs.
  • Crisis assistance provides assistance to households that have no heat, received a disconnect notice from their heating fuel dealer, or are nearly out of heating fuel and do not have any way to pay for their heating needs. Proactive non-emergency assistance is also available through the entire year to avoid future emergencies.

Winter Weatherization program

In these difficult economic times, improving your home's energy efficiency can make a big difference. If you meet WHEAP income eligibility guidelines, you may also qualify for assistance in caulking, weather-stripping and insulation.

County Agency Phone number
Brown Department of Human Services 920-448-6460
Calumet Energy Services, Inc. 920-464-1009
Door Door County Human Services 920-746-7155
Florence Department of Human Services 715-528-3475
Fond du Lac Energy Services, Inc. 800-506-5596
Forest NEWCAP 715-478-3871
Kewaunee Energy Services, Inc. 800-506-5596
Langlade Department of Human Services 715-627-6500
Lincoln Department of Human Services 715-539-1344
Manitowoc Department of Human Services 920-683-4266
Marathon Energy Services, Inc. 715-842-3111
Marinette Department of Human Services 715-732-7740
Oconto Department of Human Services 920-834-7000
Oneida Department of Human Services 715-362-5695
Outagamie Energy Services, Inc. 800-506-5596
Portage Energy Services, Inc. 715-344-5999
Shawano Department of Human Services 715-526-4740
Sheboygan Department of Human Services 920-208-5946 or 800-596-1919
Vilas Department of Human Services 715-479-3668
Waupaca Energy Services, Inc. 715-258-6820
Winnebago Energy Services, Inc. 800-506-5596
Lac du Flambeau Tribal Office 715-588-4235
Potawatomi Tribal Please contact your local Energy Assistance office.
Mole Lake/Sokaogon Chippewa Tribe 715-478-7600
Oneida Nation Social Services 920-490-3939

If you are having trouble paying your bills, please call us at 800-450-7260.

WEC Energy Group